A Garden Festival for All Ages
- Saturday, April 7, 2018 – 9:00 am–4:00 pm
What is it? Fun for the whole family! Learn, shop for your garden, get great ideas, and enjoy gourmet treats while supporting the JC Raulston Arboretum. We're rolling out the red carpet for members, home gardeners, families, and children by offering a day that's packed with garden and nature activities, shopping, and outdoor fun.
- JCRA Spring Plant Sale – plus select guest plant vendors
- Gardens Direct
- Pine Knot Farms
- Mr. Maple
- Superior Plants Nursery
- 18th Annual Birdhouse Competition
- Gardening talks – learn from the experts
- Bryce Lane – "Great Plants for Your Spring Home Landscape"
- Mark Weathington – "Gardening in the South"
- Hands-on fun for children and families
- Invited artists and craftsmen
- Food trucks and NC State Howling Cow ice cream cups
- Educational displays and demonstrations
Get great ideas for your home landscape from the experts. Bryce Lane, NC State University lecturer and JC Raulston Arboretum director, Mark Weathington, will present an inspiring talks.
Spring Plant Sale
Gardeners love buying hard to find plants selected especially for our climate by JCRA staff. Plus, this year's plant sale has been expanded and will include Gardens Direct, Pine Knot Farms, Mr. Maple, and Superior Plants Nursery. Members will save 10% on JC Raulston Arboretum plants only.
Members-only Preview Sale
Members can shop early on Friday, April 6 from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
Not a member? Join today.
The 18th Annual Birdhouse Competition, which draws entries in categories from age six to adult, is inspiring, fanciful, and fun! It's a perennial hit with everyone from serious bird watchers and nature photographers to school classes and scouts.
Children and Family
For children there will be exciting hands-on learning activities, garden crafts, and science experiences. Learn about bees, bugs, chickens, and more.
Schedule of Events
- 9:00 am
- All Activities Open
JC Raulston Arboretum Plant Sale – Great Lawn
18th Annual Birdhouse Competition – Ruby C. McSwain Education Center
- 10:30 am
- Mark Weathington – "Gardening in the South" and book signing – Speaker's Tent, Great Lawn
- 11:00 am
- Flower Child Face Painting – Ruby C. McSwain Education Center (concludes at 3:00 pm)
- 12:00 am
- Composting with Rhonda Sherman – Great Lawn
Extension Master Gardeners – Great Lawn
- 1:00 pm
- Meet the Bugs with the NC State Entomology Graduate Student Association – Ruby C. McSwain Education Center
- 1:00 pm
- Bryce Lane – "Great Plants for Your Spring Home Landscape" – Speaker's Tent, Great Lawn
- 2:00 pm
- Book Signing – Mark Weathington – Apparel Tent, Great Lawn
- 4:00 pm
- All Activities Close
Mark Weathington, Director, JC Raulston Arboretum
"Gardening in the South"
10:30 am – Speaker's Tent, Great Lawn
Bryce Lane, NC State University Lecturer
"Great Plants for Your Spring Home Landscape"
1:00 pm – Speaker's Tent, Great Lawn
Educational Displays and Demonstrations
- Wake County Master Gardeners
- Bill Satterwhite (manages the bluebird houses at the JCRA)
- NC State University Graduate Student Association is bringing bugs!
Piedmont Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society (selling plants, too)
- Girl Scouts
- Elite Fire Taekwondo
Artists and Craftsmen
- Dillardville Recycled Art
- Rimshotz Woodturning
- Compost Now
- Mary Jo's Studio
- Kiki's Rewind Designs
- Artisanal Jewelry and Goods by Kate Wiegand
- Flower Child Face Painting
- That's Nature's Way
- Old South Birdhouse Company
- Aimee Cuthrell Fine Arts
Proceeds from Raulston Blooms! benefit the daily operations and programs of the JC Raulston Arboretum. Fund-raising efforts for the JC Raulston Arboretum operate under the auspices of the North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit (tax ID 56-6049304).
- Free for members and college students with college identification, $5.00 for nonmembers, $10.00 per family. Admission includes admission to the 18th Annual Birdhouse Competition and JCRA Plant Sale, too. The last tickets will be sold at 3:30 pm.
- Tickets for Raulston Blooms! are available the day of the event at the entrance to the JC Raulston Arboretum.
- This event is rain or shine and all ticket sales are final.
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available along Beryl Road and in the Brickhaven Building's parking lot.
- Please call (919) 515-3132 for more information about this event.