Discover the Benefits of Giving Wisely
Did you know there are creative ways to support the JC Raulston Arboretum? Ways in which the JCRA, you, and your loved ones all benefit at the same time?
Such giving techniques are called "planned gifts," because with thoughtful planning, you create win-win solutions for you and the Arboretum. For example:
- You can make a gift that costs nothing during your lifetime.
- You can give stock and realize larger tax savings.
- You can get a monthly paycheck for life in return for your gift.
- You can donate your house, continue to live there, and get a tax break all at the same time.
Thoughtful Planning—Easy Giving
Do you have a vision for the Arboretum? There are many ways that you too can leave a legacy and make your vision a reality!
Giving appreciated stock could be more beneficial than giving cash:
- You receive an immediate income-tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
Including a bequest to The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation Inc., to benefit the JC Raulston Arboretum means:
- Your assets remain in your control during your lifetime.
- You can modify your gift to address changing circumstances.
- You can direct your gift to a particular purpose. (Be sure to check with us to make sure your gift can be used as intended.)
- Under current tax law there is no upper limit on the estate tax deduction for your charitable bequests
Please visit and talk to our planned giving specialist, Sonia Murphy, for a free/no obligation consultation regarding your vision for the JC Raulston Arboretum and your planned giving options? Contact De Teague at (919) 513-2950 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the College of Agriculture and Life Science's Gift Legacy Web site.
Example Bequest Language
Bequest of Cash
"I bequeath the sum of $______ to the North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc. of Raleigh, North Carolina, for the benefit of the JC Raulston Arboretum. I specify this sum for the JCRA Endowment for Excellence." (example)
Bequest of a Percent of the Estate
"I devise and bequeath ______% of the remainder and residue of property owned at my death, whether real or personal, and wherever located to the North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc., Raleigh, North Carolina, for the benefit of the JC Raulston Arboretum. I specify this sum for the JCRA Endowment for Excellence." (example)
"If my brother John Doe survives me, I devise and bequeath 20% of the remainder and residue of property owned at my death, whether real or personal, and wherever located to John Doe. If John Doe does not survive me, then I devise and bequeath 20% of my residuary estate, whether real or personal property and wherever located to the North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc., Raleigh, North Carolina, for the benefit of the JC Raulston Arboretum. I specify this sum for the JCRA Endowment for Excellence." (example)
About the North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc.
In most cases, bequests should be made to the North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc., to be most effective. The JCRA is very fortunate to be part of this outstanding foundation that has been around since November 24, 1944. It was incorporated as a means to support agricultural research, extension, and teaching activities in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at NC State University. The cost of fund raising by the NCAF averages about 1.5% annually, well below the national average of 16% for other university foundations. We are very proud to announce that the NCAF has received its 3rd consecutive four-star rating for sound fiscal management by Charity Navigator. The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc.'s Federal ID number is 56-6049304.
For more gift planning information, please contact Alycia Thornton, director of development, at (919) 513-7068 or email@example.com.