Discover the Benefits of Giving Wisely
Did you know there are creative ways to support the JC Raulston Arboretum? Ways in which the JCRA, you, and your loved ones all benefit at the same time?
Such giving techniques are called "planned gifts," because, with thoughtful planning, you create win-win solutions for you and the Arboretum. For example:
- You can make a gift that costs nothing during your lifetime.
- You can give stock and realize larger tax savings.
- You can get a monthly paycheck for life in return for your gift.
Thoughtful Planning—Easy Giving
There are many ways that you can leave a legacy and make a lasting impact at the JC Raulston Arboretum!
Include a Gift in Your Will or Trust (see below for sample wording)
- Your assets remain in your control during your lifetime.
- You can modify your gift at any time to address changing circumstances.
- You can direct your gift to a particular purpose. (Be sure to check with us to make sure your gift can be used as intended.)
Make a Gift from Your 401(k), IRA, or Other Retirement Plan
- You name The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc., as the primary or secondary beneficiary of the plan.
- You designate what percentage of the plan is for the Foundation.
- This estate gift may be created without an attorney.
- Advantage: A person receiving this money would ultimately pay income taxes on it, but The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc. would not.
IRA Charitable Rollover
- If you are 72 or older, an IRA charitable rollover contribution is a way you can continue to further the mission of the JCRA and benefit this year.
- You can choose to have part or all of your required minimum distribution up to $100,000 transferred directly to The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc.
Gifts of Stock
- Giving appreciated stock could be more beneficial than giving cash.
- You receive an immediate income-tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
Gifts of Insurance
- A gift of your life insurance policy is an excellent way to make a gift to charity. If you have a life insurance policy that has outlasted its original purpose, consider making a gift of your insurance policy. For example, you may have purchased a policy to provide for minor children and they are now financially independent adults.
- To make a gift of life insurance, please contact your life insurance provider, request a beneficiary designation form from the insurer, and include The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc as the beneficiary of your policy.
Other Options Include (these options require discussion with a legal or tax advisor)
- Creating a Charitable Gift Annuity – Receive income payments for life after making a gift to The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc.
- Gifts of Real Estate
- Charitable Remainder Trust (including FLIP trusts for real estate)
- Gifts of closely-held stock, partnerships, or business interests
Example Bequest Language
I give to The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc., (the sum of $_______ or ____ percent of my estate/trust) for the benefit of the JC Raulston Arboretum. This gift shall be administered according to instructions that may be on record with The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc. If there are no instructions on file, then the gift shall be used for ___________________________.
About the North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc.
In most cases, bequests should be made to the North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc. The JCRA is very fortunate to be part of this outstanding foundation that has been around since November 24, 1944. It was incorporated as a means to support agricultural research, extension, and teaching activities in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at NC State University. The North Carolina Agricultural Foundation, Inc.'s Federal ID number is 56-6049304.For more gift planning information, please contact Alycia Thornton, director of development, at (919) 513-7068 or email@example.com.