Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
Julia Kornegay, Ph.D., Department of Horticultural Science, NC State
- Thursday, June 19, 2014 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
Did you know that a new species of zinnias was created to produce the 'Profusion' and 'Zahara' bedding plant zinnias that are now landscape standards!? With over 18 species native to the New World, zinnias are highly diverse, but very few species have been used in breeding programs. The NC State floriculture breeding program is working with these species to improve disease resistance and other traits in both cut flower and bedding plant zinnias. Breeding methods and strategies for developing new zinnia species and varieties will be discussed.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.