Creating and Caring for Sustainable Home Landscapes
Bryce Lane, Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Emeritus and Lecturer Emeritus, Department of Horticultural Science, NC State University
Mondays, July 17 through August 21, 2023 – 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
This is a 6-week course for folks who are interested in gardening in a more sustainable way. We will define, and discuss the concept of sustainability as it relates to all our home horticultural practices. Come learn more about gardening techniques that save energy, conserve water, reduce inputs, restore ecosystems and much more!
- Sustainability defined
- Reducing your horticultural inputs
- Organic practices
- Energy saving landscapes
- Waterwise approaches
- Gardening to attract wildlife
- Soil building and plant nutrition
- Sustainable pest management
About Bryce Lane
Bryce has been teaching students, home gardeners and garden professionals for over 40 years. Many may know Bryce from his UNC TV public television show called "In the Garden With Bryce Lane" which was on the air for 11 seasons and won three Emmys. Others may know him as a student from his time in the Department of Horticultural Science at NC State University.
Growing up in Western Massachusetts, Bryce discovered his passion for plants and telling others about them while working at a local garden center through high school and college. After earning his B.S. in plant science from the University of Massachusetts in 1979 and an M.S. in horticulture from The Ohio State University in 1981, he came to the Department of Horticultural Science at NC State University where he taught in the two-year and four-year programs, majors and non-majors, served as the undergraduate coordinator and even the interim director of the JC Raulston Arboretum.
He has received numerous local, regional, and national teaching awards and is frequently invited to speak at many workshops and symposia, about teaching as well as horticulture and gardening. Most importantly, he has been married for 45 years to his high school sweetheart, has two happily married daughters, and six incredible grandchildren. He is an avid gardener who has gardened in the same spot for more than 39 years with many stories, advice and passion to share with other gardeners regardless of their experience!
- $250.00 for members, $300.00 for nonmembers. Note to nonmembers: instead of paying $50.00 more for the program, become a member for $50.00 instead.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write email@example.com for more information about this class.