Deciduous Conifer Grafting Workshop
Leanne Kenealy Atkins, Specialty Grafter and Horticulturist
- Saturday, March 4, 2023 – 12:30 pm–3:00 pm
Grafting is the only method possible to propagate some plants. Many rare and expensive plants are grafted. In this workshop, participants learn to graft ginkgo, bald cypress, and dawn redwood from Leanne Kenealy Atkins. She will discuss and demonstrate grafting techniques and then will individually assist each participant as they graft their own plants.
JCRA staff will collect scion wood prior to the workshop. The workshop's fee covers all needed supplies, excluding a grafting knife unless paid for at the time of registration. Each participant will graft a minimum of two plants of each species, taking home 6 plants.
Note: Each participant will need a sharp, quality grafting knife. If you do not already own one, please select a registration option that includes a grafting knife.
About Leanne Kenealy Atkins
Leanne Kenealy Atkins received her master's degree in Horticulture at Clemson University where she specialized in peach rootstocks and began to cultivate a love for grafting. Subsequently, she was hired as a propagation manager by Moore Farms Botanical Garden in Lake City, SC. This marked a shift in her grafting skills from fruits to ornamentals. The Bald Cypress collection she grafted during her time there became a reference garden for the American Conifer Society. She then began work at the JC Raulston Arboretum as a research technician and propagator for their garden, expanding her knowledge of grafting with the wide variety of genera available there. Currently, Leanne is starting her own nursery specializing in unique grafted trees.
$150.00 for members; $200.00 for nonmembers. Note to nonmembers: instead of paying $50.00 more for the program, become a member for $50.00 instead.
Grafting knives are available for $25.00 extra.
- Advance registration is required. Register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 20 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this workshop.