"Creating Artistic Photos using Intentional Camera Movement"
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
- Friday, April 14, 2023 – 10:30 am–12:30 pm
In most photography you're taught to hold the camera still in order to make sharp, crisp photos. However, if you're after a more artistic look, the intentional camera movement (ICM) technique requires that you do the exact opposite. In an ICM photograph, the photographer moves the camera during the exposure creating streaks and blurs that can mimic the look of a painter's brush strokes. The resulting photograph can range from impressionistic to abstract. This is an experimental, trial and error technique, so there can be many unsuccessful frames to achieve that one frame that is pure magic.
In this session, we'll discuss the theory, settings and technique for creating artistic photos using Intentional Camera Movement technique. This session is appropriate for traditional camera and phone camera users with an app.
Items to bring
Smartphone or traditional digital camera.
If the garden is particularly bright, a Neutral Density filter or Circular Polarizer filter may be needed to achieve a slow enough shutter speed. For Neutral Density filters, look for solid ND type. A set that includes two densities e.g. .6 (2 stop) and .9 (3 stop) would be a good starting point. Smartphone users can purchase the Slow Shutter Cam app to simulate the use of a neutral density filter. Consult the instructor for filter recommendations
About Mary Louise Ravese
Mary Louise Ravese specializes in fine art nature and travel photography from locations across the world. Her photographs are in private, university, and corporate collections in over 40 states and are exhibited nationally. She is the owner and principle photographer for Bella Vista Photography, and has a resident artist studio at 311 Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina. Mary Louise is a regular speaker and competition judge for photography clubs in multiple states. She is an experienced photography instructor who has trained hundreds of amateur photographers. She enjoys teaching on a wide range of topics related to nature, travel, and creative photography, and can help with both the technical and aesthetic aspects of picture making. Mary Louise leads classes and workshops at a variety of locations across the United States and abroad. For more information visit her Web site at https://shop.bellavistaphotography.com.
- $30.00 members, $40.00 nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 12 participants and is considered complete when payment is received. Registration will close at the end of day on Thursday, April 13, 2023.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this program.