Poinsettia Open House
Sponsored by NC State Floriculture and the JCRA
- Sunday, December 5, 2010 – 1:00 pm–5:00 pm
NC State Floriculture is part of a national poinsettia program that tests poinsettia cultivars to determine which ones are best for consumers and for producers. You will have a chance to see these cultivars yourself and vote for your favorites. Ninety eight different cultivars of poinsettias—including twenty new experimental cultivars—will be on display. Stop by to see the famous 9' tall poinsettia tree. Enjoy poinsettia gardens and decorated poinsettias. Help us decide which poinsettias are North Carolina's favorites by voting for your favorite poinsettias.
Listen to Christmas carols from around the world played by the Joy Recorder Ensemble while viewing the poinsettias. They'll begin at 1:00 PM and play through 4:00 PM with three 15 minute breaks. Musical instruments include recorders plus a hand drum, tambourine, and a glockenspiel. Members include Carrie Bylina (director), Ruey Li, Jean Lin, Jean Luc Bernard, Chia-Fei Wang, and May Wu.
JCRA Volunteer Art Sales
The JCRA has many talented volunteers that help us with everything we do. Some of these volunteers are also artists, photographers, woodworkers, etc. Sue Aldworth, Nature's Art by Sue Aldworth, is one of them. Several of her illustrations have been featured on our T-shirts over the years. She'll be onsite during the open house selling her cards that feature her botanical illustrations. Part of the proceeds from the sales will benefit the JCRA.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center at the JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 515-3132 for more information about this event.