Fern Propagation Workshop
Bob Payne, Wake County Extension Master Gardener Volunteer
Join the Waitlist
Join the Waitlist
- Saturday, October 29, 2022 – 9:00 am–12:00 pm
Learn about the reproductive cycle of ferns and how to propagate them from spores in this hands-on workshop. Participants will be introduced to terms like gametophyte and sporophyte and will clean and sow spores and divide gametophytes and sporophytes. Each participant will take home a variety of ferns in various stages of development.
About Bob Payne
Bob Payne is an Extension Master Gardener Volunteer with Wake County. He has been involved in gardening his entire life and inherited his love of plants from his mother. Bob has had gardens in New Mexico, Arizona, and Florida before moving to North Carolina almost 28 years ago. Faced with landscapes that have been dominated by large red and white oaks, he has come to enjoy the challenges and opportunities associated with shade gardening. He developed a particular interest in ferns and their propagation—a group of plants he feels that are underutilized and under appreciated. Bob has a BS in Agriculture (entomology/plant pathology) and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University of Delaware, and he has a Master of Healthcare Administration from Duke University. He recently retired from Duke University Hospital where he worked as an operations administrator.
- $75.00 per participant.
Registration opens to Arboretum members first. Public registration begins on Monday, October 2, 2022.
Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 18 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Head House, Horticulture Field Laboratory, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Directions will be provided to participants the week before the program. The head house is located near the JC Raulston Arboretum, but the driving directions will differ somewhat.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this program.