Introduction to Mushroom Foraging: Learn a Year's Worth of Wild Edible Mushrooms in One Day
Frank Hyman, Cottage Garden Landscaping
Join the Waitlist
Join the Waitlist
- Saturday, August 20, 2022 – 9:00 am–11:00 am
Want to learn to safely identify morels, black trumpets, chanterelles, and other delicious, edible mushrooms? Learn to identify the dozen most delicious mushrooms with professional forager and columnist Frank Hyman. A mushroom walk on any given day may only expose you to two or three edible mushroom—and that's if the weather cooperates. In this class you can learn to identify an entire year's worth—a dozen—of the best-tasting, easy to identify mushrooms (no poisonous look-alikes) presented in one indoor sitting. Class includes a slide show of professional photographs, display of tools and field guides, handout with resources, and plenty of Q&A time.
About Frank Hyman
Frank Hyman lives in Durham and writes the only foraging column for a national magazine, called Paleo. He's harvested a 33-pound mushroom and is licensed to sell wild mushrooms in three states. Frank sells mushrooms to restaurants in downtown Durham and has taught chefs, arborists, and organic farmers how to forage. He learned his trade from professional foragers in seven states and six countries. Frank has a B.S. in horticulture and design from NC State University.
- $30.00 for members; $40.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited and is considered complete when payment is received. Registration will close at the end of day on Thursday, August 18, 2022.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina, and online.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this program.