"Focus Stacking Technique: Macro Photography with Full Depth-of-field Control"
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
Join the Waitlist
Join the Waitlist
- Saturday, July 16, 2022 – 8:30 am–12:30 pm
In the close-up environment of macro photography, it is not possible to get sharp shots from front to back of deep flowers like lilies due to inherent technical limitations that produce shallow depth-of-field for this situation. However, full control of depth-of-field is possible using the focus stacking photography technique. This technique involves taking multiple shots of the same subject, each focused at different points and then using software to combine the multiple images to make a single image with the combined depth-of-field of all the shots.
In this session, Mary Louise will explain and demonstrate how to do the focus stacking technique for achieving full control of depth-of-field. Afterwards, Mary Louise will guide participants as they do hands-on practice photography of flowers using the technique, combining the resulting set of images together in software using a combination of Adobe Lightroom Classic and Adobe Photoshop.
Participants should be familiar with importing and editing images in Adobe Lightroom Classic. Previous experience with Adobe Photoshop is not required, but would be a plus.
What to Bring
Participants should bring their DSLR or mirrorless camera and be comfortable using the camera in aperture priority or manual exposure modes. A macro lens (90mm or longer focal length) is required as is a tripod. Participants should bring a laptop with Adobe Lightroom Classic and Photoshop installed and their photography journal and a pencil or pen to take notes. We'll be done in time for lunch, but please bring a snack and a drink.
About Mary Louise Ravese
Mary Louise Ravese specializes in fine art nature and travel photography from locations across the world. Her photographs are in private, university, and corporate collections in over 40 states and are exhibited nationally. She is the owner and principle photographer for Bella Vista Photography, and has a resident artist studio at 311 Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina. Mary Louise is a regular speaker and competition judge for photography clubs in multiple states. She is an experienced photography instructor who has trained hundreds of amateur photographers. She enjoys teaching on a wide range of topics related to nature, travel, and creative photography, and can help with both the technical and aesthetic aspects of picture making. Mary Louise leads classes and workshops at a variety of locations across the United States and abroad. For more information visit her Web site at https://shop.bellavistaphotography.com.
- $95.00 for members, $115.00 for nonmembers (includes a $15.00 supplies fee).
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write email@example.com for more information about this program.