"Controlling Light to Enable Photographing in the Garden All Day"
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
- Thursday, June 30, 2022 – 10:00 am–12:00 pm
Bright sun produces hot spots and deep shadows that can make garden photography challenging. In this session, Mary Louise will discuss and demonstrate how to control the lighting conditions in the garden to enable great photography all day long. She will explain how to use tools like daytime fill-flash, translucent diffusers, and opaque reflectors to create beautiful lighting for your scene. Afterwards, participants will apply these new skills photographing in the Arboretum's gardens.
What to Bring
This class is suitable for all type of cameras from DSLR and mirrorless, to point-n-shoot and smartphone. However, for best results, a DSLR or mirrorless camera is recommended. A tripod is required while a camera remote control is optional. Cameras should have a built-in or on-camera flash. Photographers should also bring a 24" translucent diffuser, 12"–24" opaque reflector (preferably soft gold), two Wimberly plamps (optional, used to hold a diffusor/reflector). Participants should bring their photography journal and a pencil or pen to take notes. If purchasing these items for this session, please contact the instructor for recommendations (five-in-one diffuser/reflector versions are not ideal).
About Mary Louise Ravese
Mary Louise Ravese specializes in fine art nature and travel photography from locations across the world. Her photographs are in private, university, and corporate collections in over 40 states and are exhibited nationally. She is the owner and principle photographer for Bella Vista Photography, and has a resident artist studio at 311 Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina. Mary Louise is a regular speaker and competition judge for photography clubs in multiple states. She is an experienced photography instructor who has trained hundreds of amateur photographers. She enjoys teaching on a wide range of topics related to nature, travel, and creative photography, and can help with both the technical and aesthetic aspects of picture making. Mary Louise leads classes and workshops at a variety of locations across the United States and abroad. For more information visit her Web site at https://shop.bellavistaphotography.com.
- $30.00 for members, $40.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write email@example.com for more information about this program.