Direct Seeding Dynamic Displays
Brie Arthur, Author, Horticulturist, and Lifelong Home Gardener
- Saturday, November 6, 2021 – 10:00 am–11:30 am
This class was originally scheduled on Saturday, November 13. We've moved it to Saturday, November 6 due to a scheduling conflict.
For twenty years, horticulturist Brie Arthur has been honing her skills at direct seeding flowers and vegetables to create unique, low maintenance displays. In this brand-new program, Brie will share advice on site and soil preparation, seed selection, timing, and long-term management strategies.
Learn how to grow poppies, larkspur, and other cool season flowers and veggies by employing the easiest approach to growing: direct seeding! This presentation will inspire attendees to start scattering seeds and growing beauty and bounty in all the open areas of their landscapes.
About Brie Arthur
Bestselling author and horticulturist, Brie Arthur has garnered acclaim for her enthusiastic presentations and practical, out-of-the-box gardening advice. Originally from southeastern Michigan, Brie studied landscape design and horticulture at Purdue University. With more than a decade of experience as a grower and propagator, Brie specialized in producing rare Asian native broadleaf evergreen trees and shrubs, including camellias. She is currently serving as president of the International Plant Propagators' Society Southern Region, and consults with nurseries throughout the mid-Atlantic region. During her tenure at Camellia Forest Nursery in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, she became an avid camellia collector, specializing in heritage varieties that were introduced pre-1900. As a home gardener she continues to cultivate a diverse selection of camellias and encourages others to learn more about propagation.
As part of NC State University, the JC Raulston Arboretum follows the university's Protect the Pack Community Standards. These can be found online at https://www.ncsu.edu/coronavirus/. Face coverings are required in all indoor spaces on campus for students, faculty, staff and visitors, regardless of vaccination status.
- $25.00 for members, $35.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store (in-person program and online program). Registration is limited to 24 in-person participants and 50 online participants and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina and online.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this class.