Fern Propagation Workshop
Bob Payne, Wake County Extension Master Gardener
- Saturday, December 5, 2020 – 9:00 am–12:00 pm
Shipping Option No Longer Available – Pickups Only for New Registrations
The option to have your workshop kit mailed to you is no longer available. The remaining seats are limited to those that can pickup their kits on December 3 and 4.
Learn about the reproductive cycle of ferns and how to propagate them from spores in this hands-on workshop. Participants will be introduced to terms like gametophyte and sporophyte and will clean and sow spores and divide gametophytes and sporophytes. Each participant will take home a variety of ferns in various stages of development.
Most items needed to complete this workshop will be available for pickup at the JC Rauslton Arboretum before the workshop. If you live too far away to pick up the supplies, we will be offering a shipping option for an additional charge to cover the shipping. The shipped package will not contain a flat or humidity dome. If you need us to ship the materials, please contact Chris Glenn at email@example.com before registering. In addition to the items included in the package, you'll need a magnifying glass, mist bottle, and tweezers. A cell phone can be used in lieu of a magnifying glass and a sharpened pencil can be used in lieu of the tweezers.
About Bob Payne
Bob Payne is a Extension Master Gardener with Wake County. He has been involved in gardening his entire life and inherited his love of plants from his mother. Bob has had gardens in New Mexico, Arizona, and Florida before moving to North Carolina almost 28 years ago. Faced with landscapes that have been dominated by large red and white oaks, he has come to enjoy the challenges and opportunities associated with shade gardening. He developed a particular interest in ferns and their propagation—a group of plants he feels that are underutilized and under appreciated. Bob has a B.S.Ag. (entomology/plant pathology) and B.S.N, from the University of Delaware and a M.H.A. from Duke University. He currently works for Duke University Hospital as an operations administrator.
- $40.00 for members, $55.00 for nonmembers (additional charge for shipping if needed).
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 50 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Online via Zoom.
- Please contact Chris Glenn at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this workshop.