Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
"Healthy Trees, Happy People, Vibrant Planet"
Basil Camu, Leaf & Limb
- Thursday, April 9, 2020 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
During the first portion of this lecture, we will explore some of our most pressing environmental issues: decreased biodiversity, rise of air pollution, loss of our topsoil, disappearing drinking water, and an increase in oxidized carbon. We'll also explore how trees can help us solve these issues. They are one of Nature 's most powerful tools for creating a healthy planet.
Next, we'll give you our top tips for planting, preserving, and promoting trees in a manner that maximizes positive benefits for members of all ecosystems, from soil to insects, from birds to humans, and much more. With this information, we can all work together to increase the health and population of trees to overcome pressing environmental issues and restore the balance of life on Earth.
When it comes to caring for trees and our planet, we do not have to reinvent the wheel. Nature provides us with solutions that are tried-and-true for millennia. Healthy trees in abundance create happy people and a vibrant planet.
About Basil Camu
Basil's official title? Chief vision officer and wizard of things. He is also a treecologist and ISA Board Certified Master Arborist. Basil went to Duke University, where he graduated magna cum laude with a double major in economics and history. After working as an economic analyst, Basil decided to abandon this career path and become an entrepreneur. If he is not working, Basil's favorite pastime is hanging out with his amazing wife and sons. His favorite hobbies include Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, soccer, power lifting, long distance running, hiking, traveling, and reading a good biography. Favorite foods? Blazing hot peppers, pickles, garlic, capers, and anything from Lucette Grace (best pastries ever!)
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available. Check-in available at the door.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.