North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) Lecture
Cohosted by the Piedmont Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society and the JC Raulston Arboretum
"Hiking from Georgia to Maine: Wildflowers of the Appalachian Trail"
Will Hembree, Research Specialist, Longwood Gardens
- Saturday, February 8, 2020 – 10:00 am–11:30 am
Join us for a botanical whirlwind tour of the Appalachian Trail in which our speaker will take us on a journey of 2,192 miles in just under an hour (1.64 miles per second!). Over the course of four seasons, Will Hembree along with his father botanized the Appalachian Mountains, finding plants and fellowship all along the way. From the ice covered peak of Wayah Bald in North Carolina to the stony ridges of the White Mountains of New Hampshire, "Peach" and "Gopher" discovered more natural beauty than they ever could have hoped to find. If you've ever thought of the trail, "I'd like to do that someday!" but for one reason or another have never found the time, then now is your chance to do it from the comfort of the Ruby C. McSwain Education Center auditorium.
- Free for North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) members and Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, otherwise $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.