Propagating Woody Plants from Seed
Bryce Lane, Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Emeritus and Lecturer Emeritus, Department of Horticultural Science, NC State University
- Saturday, October 26, 2019 – 9:00 am–12:00 pm
One of Bryce Lane's favorite gardening activities is plant propagation. He loves to divide plants, take cuttings, and he even dabbles in layerage, but propagating woody plants from seed is often overlooked. Come attend a class totally devoted to understanding how trees, shrubs, vines, and ground covers reproduce from seed and how we, as gardeners, can take advantage of that science to propagate new and interesting plants. We will talk all about what woody plant seeds need to germinate, how we can overcome dormancy and take advantage of the diversity that comes with propagating plants from seed.
Overcoming seed dormancy
Germination and growth
About Bryce Lane
Bryce grew up in Western Massachusetts, where he discovered his passion for plants and telling others about them, working at a local garden center through high school and college. After earning his B.S. in plant science from the University of Massachusetts in 1979 and an M.S. in horticulture from The Ohio State University in 1981, he came to the Department of Horticultural Science at NC State University as a lecturer, teaching in both the two-year and four-year programs. He taught plant identification at NC State for 18 years. In 1987, he became the undergraduate coordinator, serving the department in that capacity for 26 years. Bryce taught both large and small courses, for majors and non-majors. In the past 30+ years, he has taught more than 20,000 students. He has received numerous local, regional, and national teaching awards and is frequently invited to speak at many workshops and symposia, about teaching as well as horticulture and gardening. He hosted and produced a three-time, Emmy winning UNC TV public television show called "In the Garden With Bryce Lane" which was on the air for 11 seasons. Most importantly, he has been married for 37 years to his high school sweetheart, has two happily married daughters, and six incredible grandchildren.
Bryce retired from NC State in January 2014, and is now spending more time with his family, pursuing the next chapter in his public speaking career, and teaching part time at NC State and the JC Raulston Arboretum. He served as interim director of the JC Raulston Arboretum from July through November 2014. He is an avid gardener who has gardened in the same spot for more than 30 years!
- $40.00 for members, $50.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 24 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Contact Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005 or email@example.com for more information about this event.