Magnolia Grafting Workshop
Nathan Maren, Ph.D. Student, Department of Horticultural Science, NC State University
- Saturday, February 24, 2018 – 8:30 am–12:00 pm
Plant propagation is a joy … especially when it works for you. If you've ever had trouble in your woody plant propagation, you might be aware that some plants may be propagated effectively by budding or grafting. Many amazing Magnolia cultivars that are available to view online remain elusive in the trade because of the relative difficulty in propagation and demand for such high value plants. If you'd like to learn how to propagate one (or more) of those choice selections in your own back yard, join us for a workshop in grafted Magnolia propagation. In this workshop, participants will learn about the ideals and compromises you want to be aware of as you propagate that old favorite or centerpiece selection you've been longing for.
JCRA staff will collect scion wood prior to the workshop. However, participants will be asked ahead of time which cultivar(s) they're most interested in grafting. The workshop's fee covers all needed supplies, excluding a grafting knife unless paid for at the time of registration. Each participant will graft a minimum of five Yulania (deciduous) magnolia.
Note: A grafting knife is required. If you don't have one, please select a registration option that includes a knife. We need all
registrations with knives by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, February 14.
About Nathan Maren
Nathan Maren comes from central Minnesota, where he spent several years as plant propagation department head and plant breeder for Bailey Nurseries. There, he collaborated with renowned Magnolia breeder Dennis Ledvina and has since continued to hybridize and acquire specimens of unique breeding and garden merit. He is currently working on a Ph.D. in plant breeding at NC State University in the Department of Horticultural Science.
- $60.00 for members, $75.00 for nonmembers. If a grafting knife is needed, please select this $20.00 add-on option when registering.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 15 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Head House, Horticultural Field Laboratory behind the JC Raulston Arboretum. Directions will be provided to workshop participants.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the head house.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.