North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) Lecture
Cohosted by the JC Raulston Arboretum and the Piedmont Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society
“All the Presidents' Gardens"
- Saturday, April 21, 2018 – 10:00 am–11:30 am
Marta McDowell teaches landscape history and horticulture at the New York Botanical Garden and consults for private clients and public gardens. Her book, All the Presidents' Gardens made the New York Times bestseller list in 2015 and won an American Horticultural Society book award in 2017. In her book, Marta tells the history of the White House Grounds, starting with plant-obsessed George Washington and ending with Michelle Obama's kitchen garden. History buffs will find fascinating tidbits about Lincoln's goats, Ike's putting green, Jackie's iconic roses, and Amy Carter's tree house. Gardeners will enjoy the information on the plants whose favor has come and gone over the years and the gardeners who have been responsible for it all.
Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life, won a 2014 Gold Award from the Garden Writers Association. Her first book, Emily Dickinson's Gardens, came out in 2005. She is working on a new book due out September 2017 entitled The World of Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Frontier Landscapes that Inspired the Little House books.
- Free for North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) members and Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, otherwise $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.