Juried Print Competition and Exhibition
Sponsored by the JC Raulston Arboretum and the Triangle Carolinas Nature Photography Association
- Friday, August 11, 2017 – 9:00 am–6:00 pm
– Entries Accepted
- Saturday, August 12, 2017 – 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
– Opening Reception
Calling all photographers! Do you have an eye for beauty? Would you like to share your work with other people who would appreciate it? If so, the Juried Print Competition is for you. Adults and youth can submit original photographic prints of garden or plant related subjects. Distinguished judges will determine the winning images and cash awards will be presented. The winning prints along with the judges' favorites will be displayed at the Arboretum during the month of September for the public to see. Don't delay! Start capturing your favorite images today. Maybe yours will become "Best in Show."
This competition is open to all levels of photography experience and to photographic prints only. There will be four prizes for adult entries: Best in Show will win $200, 1st place will win $100, 2nd place will win $75, and 3rd place will win $50. There will be a Best in Show for the youth category (age 16 and under) with the winning prize being $50.
- Categories: Adult and Youth (16 and under).
- The competition is open to photographic prints only and photographers of any level.
- Images may be taken anywhere, but they must be garden or plant related. When the photograph includes insects or animals, the plant must be the major focus.
- Post processing and image manipulation is accepted but composite photographs are not allowed.
- Text and/or borders may not appear anywhere on the face of the image or mat.
- Entrants must have captured and created the image. Youth entries must be the work of the youth with no assistance from an adult.
- The entry may not have been published prior to the contest.
- Each entrant is limited to a total of two photographs.
- All work must be properly mounted and wired for hanging:
- Matted with a white mat or no mat for 11" × 14" prints,
- Mounted in an 11" × 14" simple, black frame (1" or narrower), and
- The image may not exceed 11" × 14" but may be smaller (e.g., an 8" × 10" image matted to 11" × 14").
- Clip frames and canvas wrap prints are not allowed.
- Prints are to be hand delivered.
- The decisions by judges are final.
- Winners will have to submit digital files of their image to the JC Raulston Arboretum and may be used by JCRA for promotional purposes.
- Photographs not picked up by October 7 become the property of the JC Raulston Arboretum.
- Neither the JC Raulston Arboretum nor the Triangle Carolinas Nature Photography Association can be held responsible for loss or damage from any cause. See Web site for details.
Best in Show – $200
1st Place – $100
2nd Place – $75
3rd Place – $50
Best in Show – $50
Dick Cicone Mary Doherty Brian Fullington
ExhibitThe judge's favorite photographs (approximately 50) will be hung in the exhibit. The exhibit will be open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and on Saturdays and Sundays when the Ruby C. McSwain Education Center is open for an event. The exhibit closes on Saturday, October 7.
A small number of gently used frames from past competitions are available to registered Juried Print Competition participants for $5.00 each at the JC Raulston Arboretum Monday through Friday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please contact Chris Glenn at (919) 513-7005 for details.
Hold Harmless Agreement
Entries will be handled with the utmost care; however, neither JC Raulston Arboretum nor Triangle CNPA can be held responsible for loss or damage from any cause. Submitting work and signing the entry form signifies compliance with all rules and conditions set forth in this prospectus.
Printable BrochureA printable brochrue for the Juried Print Competition is available. The brochure has the required forms for the back of the frames and includes a registation form for those that are interested in registering and paying with a check.
- $20.00 for adults, $10.00 for youths. Each entrant may submit a limit of two entries per registration. Each participant is limited to one registration. $5.00 additional fee if not pre-registered by Sunday, July 23.
- Advance registration is requested. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is considered complete when payment is received. On-site registration will be available on Friday, August 11.
- Registration fees for this event cannot be canceled.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this print competition.