Day Tripping to Reynolda House and Gardens
- Thursday, October 15, 2015 – 8:00 am–5:00 pm
Love gardens and art? Then this day trip is for you! American Impressionist artists like Mary Cassatt and Childe Hassaam helped emphasize the growth of interest in gardening by middle-class Americans at the turn of the 20th century. Including pieces gathered by Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts curator of Historical American Art, Anna O. Marley, this exhibit is limited to only four sites outside of the Philadelphia metropolitan area. Join the JCRA this October for a chance to see this special art exhibit and have a guided tour of the formal section of the Reynolda Gardens, historical in their own right. The gardens, 129 acres offering walking paths, natural areas, greenhouses, and the conservatory were part of the 1,000-acre estate of R.J. Reynolds, the founder of Wake Forest University and are still part of the Wake Forest University campus. The gardens have been renovated to simulate designs of the early 20th century, using plants both from that period and newer ones while encompassing 21st century technology to enhance best modern horticultural practices.
Vans will take participants on a day trip to Reynolda House Museum of American Art in Winston-Salem. We will leave the Arboretum at 8:00 AM and return by 5:00 PM. Upon arrival, the curator of education, Amanda Lanier, will provide a guided tour of the greenhouse and their four-acre formal gardens.
After lunch on your own in one of the three restaurants within walking distance of the gardens, we will meet at the Reynolda House at 1:00 PM for a welcome by the director of education, Kathleen Hutton. After that we will be free to explore the art exhibit ""The Artist's Garden: American Impressionism and the Garden Movement 1877-1920."
- $35.00 for members, $40.00 for nonmembers. Price includes transportation and admission fee. Lunch on your own.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 20 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Tour departs from the Visitor Center at the JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina at 8:00 AM.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this tour.