JC Raulston Arboretum Summerfest
Sponsored by the Wake County Extension Service and the JCRA
- Saturday, June 24, 2006 – 10:00 am–3:00 pm
Bring the family to the Arboretum and learn about new plants for your garden, soil preparation and amendment, plant diseases, beekeeping for the homeowner, home landscape irrigation, turf choices for the landscape, basic landscape design principles, and other timely garden topics from NC State faculty, Wake County Master Gardeners, and other professionals. Tours of the garden will be available.
"For the Love of Gardening: The Power of Plants to Change Your Point of View"
Bryce Lane, NC State and "In the Garden with Bryce Lane"
"Great Choices for Small Spaces"
Harriett Bellerjeau and Suzanne Edney – Landscape Designers
"Dealing with Bugs, Weeds and Diseases Without Using the Nuclear Option"
Carl Matyac, Ph.D., Wake County Extension Service
Chris Morman, Ph.D., Extension Wildlife Specialist, NC State
Speakers in the Garden
10:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, and 2:00 PM
1) Annuals and Perennials – Denny Werner, Ph.D., JCRA
3) Summer Bulbs – Frankie Fanelli, JCRA
5) Ground Covers – Jonathan Nyberg and Rebecca Wellborn, Meadowsweet Gardens
7) Soil Management and Understanding Fertilizers – Bill Fonteno, Ph.D., NC State
10:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM, and 2:30 PM
2) Home Landscape Irrigation – Helen Kraus, Ph.D., NC State
4) Water Gardening – Bob Davis, Blue Moon Landscape Design
6) Turf Choices for the Home Landscape – Rich Cooper, Ph.D., NC State
8) Beekeeping Basics – David Tarpy, Ph.D., NC State
Numbers above represent booth numbers.
- Carolina Gardener
- Extension's Successful Gardener
- Gardeners of Wake County
- JC Raulston Arboretum
- North Carolina Association of Nurserymen
- North Carolina Native Plant Society
- Raleigh Garden Club
- Wake County Extension Service/Master Gardeners
The Wake County Junior Master Gardener program, hosted by Carol Norden and several other Master Gardener volunteers, will be providing several activities for children and their families.
Enjoy the music of Peak City R&B from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM.
Curators in the Garden
Some of the Arboretum's volunteer curators will be available in their gardens to answer your questions about these gardens and their plants.
Master Gardener Plant Clinic
A Master Gardener "Plant Clinic" will be on site to answer all of your gardening questions.
If you are looking for a unique plant or item for your garden or home or are looking for a great gift, check out the vendors at this year's Summerfest. Each of the vendors will be sharing part of their proceeds with the JC Raulston Arboretum.
The following merchants are already signed up (as of June 5, 2006).
- Barefoot Paths – perennials, specialty annuals, shrubs
- Camellia Forest Nursery – camellias and other uncommon plants Cure Nursery – native and wetland trees and shrubsNorth Carolina Bluebird Society – bluebird houses
- Pine Knot Farms – shade perennials and Hellebores: A Comprehensive Guide
- The Unique Plant – hard-to-find or unusual trees, dwarf conifers, shrubs, perennials, and ornamental grasses.
Lunch and Refreshments
Bring your own lunch to the Summerfest or enjoy the hot dogs and sausages available at the Sajack Hot Dogs stand. Enjoy ice cream made by NC State's Department of Food Science's Dairy and Process Application Laboratory. Drinks will be available at the hot dog and ice cream stands. All the activities at the Summerfest are free, but the lunch and refreshments are available for purchase. Sales at the ice cream stand benefit the JCRA.
Sixteen planted strawberry pots are being given away during the JCRA Summerfest. Tickets are available at the JCRA membership table and are free. The raffle is courtesy of Pennington Seed and the JCRA volunteers.
A downloadable version of the JCRA Summerfest program is available in PDF format.
- Advance registration is not available.
- JC Raulston Arboretum.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum, along Beryl Road, and at the Brickhaven Building.
- Please call (919) 515-3132 for more information about this event.