Are your students out of school with nothing to do? Let them spend the day with us at the Arboretum for a School's Out! drop off program.
The plants in our gardens are full of seeds. Join us for a day to explore, gather, create, and play with seeds.
A glimpse at the activities planned for the day:
Our morning starts with watching a seed germinate in your hand, dissecting a lima bean, and exploring the gardens finding seeds that are range from small to large, round to odd, and hard to squishy.
Artistic energies will be used to create masterpieces worthy of your refrigerator doors using only seeds and to make a paper towel garden ready for planting in your fall vegetable garden.
The afternoon brings more exploration of how seeds move about. Students will use that knowledge to then design and build a seed to compete in the Arboretum's first "Amazing Seed Race" to see whose seed can travel the furthest!
Students need to bring a lunch and snack. This is an outdoor and indoor program. Please dress for the weather.
- Current 2nd to 5th graders.
- $55.00 per child for member families, $70.00 for nonmembers
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store.
- Although we understand that unexpected things happen, cancellations made less than 48 hours prior to event will not receive a refund.
- Ruby McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please contact Elizabeth Overcash, children's program coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 513-7011.