Renewal Pruning Class and Demonstration
Douglas Ruhren, Ironwood Gardens and JCRA Volunteer
- Saturday, March 21, 2015 – 9:00 am–11:30 am
Want to maximize the production of flowers and fruits from your shrubs? Renewal pruning is the way to do it. This simple technique works with the natural cycle of replacing old stems with new. This class will start with classroom explanations of the nature of shrubs, the reason for and the techniques of renewal pruning, the tools of the trade as well as demonstrations of this technique. This will be followed by actual demonstration of the technique on shrubs in the arboretum with some hands-on experience for class participants.
About Douglas Ruhren
Close to half a century ago my mother taught me how to renewal prune her forsythias. (I think she had kids in part so she had free help in her garden.) It has remained one of my favorite garden tasks, presenting a delightful challenge with the end result of guiding plants to their greatest productivity and beauty. Douglas Ruhren has a garden design, development, and maintenance business, Ironwood Gardens.
- $20.00 for members, $25.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 25 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Cancellations can be made through Friday, March 7, 2015. No refunds will be made after March 7. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this demonstration.