What’s in a Name: Plant Classification for the Home Gardener
Bryce Lane, Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Emeritus and Lecturer Emeritus, Department of Horticultural Science, NC State University
Mondays, January 23 through March 20, 2023 – 6:30 pm–8:30 pm (No class on Monday, February 13)
Did you know that most plants have two to three different kinds of names? That can lead to tremendous uncertainty and confusion. In this eight-week class, home gardeners will learn how plants are organized, classified, and named.
All too often we don't know much about the plants we select for our home gardens. When we understand plant taxonomy and nomenclature, we are better equipped to select and care for the plants we grow. In this class, we will learn and use the botanical knowledge about plant classification and naming to improve our gardening activities!
About Bryce Lane
Bryce has been teaching students, home gardeners and garden professionals for over 40 years. Many may know Bryce from his UNC TV public television show called "In the Garden With Bryce Lane" which was on the air for 11 seasons and won three Emmys. Others may know him as a student from his time in the Department of Horticultural Science at NC State University.
Growing up in Western Massachusetts, Bryce discovered his passion for plants and telling others about them while working at a local garden center through high school and college. After earning his B.S. in plant science from the University of Massachusetts in 1979 and an M.S. in horticulture from The Ohio State University in 1981, he came to the Department of Horticultural Science at NC State University where he taught in the two-year and four-year programs, majors and non-majors, served as the undergraduate coordinator and even the interim director of the JC Raulston Arboretum.
He has received numerous local, regional, and national teaching awards and is frequently invited to speak at many workshops and symposia, about teaching as well as horticulture and gardening. Most importantly, he has been married for 45 years to his high school sweetheart, has two happily married daughters, and six incredible grandchildren. He is an avid gardener who has gardened in the same spot for more than 39 years with many stories, advice and passion to share with other gardeners regardless of their experience!
- $300.00 for members, $350.00 for nonmembers. Note to nonmembers: instead of paying $50.00 more for the program, become a member for $50.00 instead.
- Advance registration is required. Register online using our registration e-store (in-person program and online program). Registration is limited and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina and online.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this program.