Music in the Garden
Featuring Bill Fonteno and Laura Kaderabek
- Saturday, September 21, 2013 – 5:00 pm–6:00 pm
The music Bill and Laura selected for this evening's concert are all inspired by the book, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, 1911. The book was supposedly read by J. C. Raulston at an early age and changed his life toward horticulture. J. C. called the arboretum, before it became the Arboretum, his "Secret Garden." The novel sparked a British drama film with music depicting a fantasy garden. All of the music is based on this fantasy. A fantasy musical tour through J. C.'s Secret Garden.
About Bill Fonteno and Laura Kaderabek
Bill Fonteno is a professor in the Department of Horticultural Science at NC State University and is the director of the Horticultural Substrates Laboratory. He was one of J. C. Raulston's first graduate students at Texas A&M University in the early 1970s before becoming one of J. C.'s colleagues at NC State in 1976. Bill is also a talented pianist—he's played since he was six years old.
Laura Kaderabek hails from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, where she received a Bachelor of Music in applied music performance from the University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire. She has played with the Eau Claire Symphony Orchestra, the Eau Claire Chamber Orchestra, the LaCrosse Symphony Orchestra, and the Eau Claire Master Singers. In 2005, she was the winner of the UWEC Concerto Competition. She is currently a senior at NC State, where she is majoring in horticultural science and working in the Horticultural Substrates Laboratory.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Klein-Pringle White Garden, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this concert.