Seasonal Garden Photography Workshop
"Finding Your Creative Voice in the Summer Garden"
Susan Bailey and Mary Doherty
- Saturday, June 22, 2013 – 8:00 am–3:00 pm
Don't Just Capture the Garden with Your Camera—Create and Celebrate
Join the JCRA and two award-winning photographer/instructors for a series of four seasonal photography workshops with the accent on creativity. Learn to create more powerful, meaningful outdoor images with your camera. Learn to celebrate the special joys of each season in a beautiful outdoor setting.
Four one day workshops—taught by acclaimed photographers and experienced workshop leaders Susan Bailey and Mary Doherty.
Spring: April 13, 2013
Nature's most bountiful season is a jumping off point for a study of creative composition.
Summer: June 22, 2013
Hot temperatures and hot colors in the garden make this the perfect season for exploring creative color.
Fall: October 12, 2013
The golden season brings the best natural light of the year and is prime time to discover what creative lighting can do for your photos.
Winter: December 14, 2013
The focus is on creative exposure as students explore the unique light and stark beauty of winter in the garden.
Find your personal voice and vision in one or all of these unique workshops for gardeners, photographers and lovers of nature's changing scene.
Each participant should have a basic understanding of their camera.
Camera, tripod, lenses, flash, and reflectors (optional).
8:00 AM–9:00 AM – Presentation
9:00 AM–11:00 AM – Shooting in the garden (indoor if weather inclement)
11:00 AM–12:00 PM – Upload and edit images—provide two images for critique
12:00 PM – 12:30 PM – Lunch
12:30 PM –2:00 PM – Critiques and instruction
2:00 PM–3:00 PM – Q&A and optional time in the garden with instructors
About the Instructors
Susan Bailey is an award-winning photographer specializing in garden and flower photography. She is a graduate of the New York Institute of Photography. Her business is Sunrise Designs. She teaches workshops and does portrait photography in addition to her garden work.
Mary Doherty is an award-winning photographer specializing in creative fine art photography. Her work has been selected for local, regional, and national juried photography exhibits and she has been published in The Insiders' Guides and WNC Magazine. Mary is a member of the Carolinas' Nature Photographers Association, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, and is a member and has received certification through the Photographic Society of America for Image Analysis.
- One workshop: $125.00 for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, all others $140.00, workshop series (20% savings): $400 for members, all others $448.00. Lunch is included.
- Advance registration is required and is limited to 20 people. Please call (919) 513-7005 to register.
- Workshop cancellations can be made through June 14, 2013 (Friday). No refunds will be made after June 14, 2013. A $10.00 cancellation fee applies. For those that registered for the entire series, a single workshop cancellation will result in remaining workshops being priced at the full rate ($125.00 or $140.00 each).
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this workshop.