Gardening with Bulbs
A Seminar with Brent Heath of Brent and Becky's Bulbs
Brent Heath, Brent and Becky's Bulbs
- Saturday, March 22, 2014 – 9:00 am–12:30 pm
Brent Heath's coming to the JC Raulston Arboretum to talk all about bulbs during the height of the spring's daffodil display. The day's events includes three exciting and educational opportunities to learn about bulbs—a lecture, a tour, and a workshop. In this seminar, participants will learn how bulbs can be used to make a tropical paradise in their landscape, tour the JCRA's bulb collection, and make a living arrangements with bulbs.
Lecture – "The Tropical Paradise Garden"
From the tropical rain forest, the sunny shores of the Mediterranean, the veldt of South Africa and the slopes of the Andes, come bold, lush leaves and a myriad of stunning diverse flowers of summer bulbs. This lecture will provide ideas on how to weave these spectacular bulb plants into your own relaxing, tropical garden getaway. You will see, with the aid of breathtaking photographs, how to integrate summer bulbs with annuals, perennials, ground covers, trees, and shrubs to create your own ultimate patio planter, window box, living sculpture, or jungle. You will also gather ideas on how to build the ultimate evening garden including luminescent, light colored, fragrant flowers. Let's plan and plant something different this summer!
Tour – "Springtime Bulbs at the JCRA"
Some of the most cherished of all springtime plants grow from bulbs. In fact, few plants herald spring as much as daffodils, tulips, crocus, and hyacinths do. Spring-flowering bulbs are planted throughout the JCRA's 10 acres and are a delight to see every year. Most of these came from Brent and Becky's Bulbs. Learn more about these beauties directly from the source.
Workshop – "Creating Living Flower Arrangements with Layers of Bulbs"
We all smile when we receive a beautiful arrangement of flowers. However, that smile will return many times when we realize that the flowers come from live bulbs and will last up to two to three times longer than cut flowers. Then they can often be recycled into the garden after danger of hard freeze.
This workshop covers the particulars on how to do it and which bulb cultivars are best suited to pot culture. Brent will demonstrate the most innovative methods of creating a living flower arrangement. Participants will follow along and create their own combination planting to take home and enjoy as it grows into a living flower arrangement.
- $75.00 for members, $90.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register by contacting Chris Glenn, programs and education coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 513-7005.
- Cancellations can be made through Friday, March 7, 2014. No refunds will be made after March 7, 2014. A $10.00 cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.