Early Release Afternoon Art
"Drawing Enrichment Workshop"
Emily Reece, Instructor
- Friday, March 15, 2013 – 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
Explore the main techniques in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards:contour drawing, positive and negative space drawing, and shading. Participants will use a variety of media (pencil, pen, and marker) to draw natural objects of their choice. Students may bring their own collection of natural objects as long as they are not especially fragile or valuable.
This workshop benefits all who are interested in seeing the natural world more accurately and drawing realistically with more ease. Hand-eye coordination is much improved by this process as well. Participants will enjoy a casual and supportive atmosphere.
No previous art experience is necessary. Even students who say they can't draw "a straight line" have been amazed by the results of their improved observational skills!
All art supplies are covered in the registration fee.
Special Guest Instructor: Emily Reece, Master of Arts in Education
Emily has taught creative art classes for over 30 years including teaching for the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh, The Durham Arts Council, The N.C. Public Schools, and the Carolina Friends School in Durham. She served as Curriculum Coordinator of The ArtSchool at The ArtsCenter in Carrboro. She is currently a professional artist and teaches students ages six to 86!
- Suggested age: Youth ages 12 to 16.
- $39.00 for Arboretum members, $44.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register by Wednesday, March 13 by contacting Elizabeth Overcash, children's program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 513-7007. Space is limited.
- Although we understand that unexpected things happen, cancellations made less than 48 hours prior to event will not receive a refund.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7007 for more information about this workshop.