News & Observer Birdhouse Competition at the JCRA
Sponsored by the News & Observer and the JC Raulston Arboretum
- Saturday, May 12, 2001 – 12:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Saturday, May 12, 2001 – 8:00 am–6:00 pm
Go ahead—let your imagination take wing. It will be good for you. It will be good for the birds. And you just might win a few feathers for your own nest. We're talking about the great N&O Birdhouse Competition. In conjunction with the JC Raulston Arboretum, we're inviting you to build or decorate a home for our fine feathered friends.
There are three categories: Built from Scratch, Decorated Prefabs or Kits. and Children (ages 12 and younger).
First prize in the adult categories is $50.00 from the News & Observer, plus, from the Arboretum, a sweatshirt or T-shirt and a year's membership. There will also be prizes for the children's category. And of course your masterpiece will be featured in the Home section for all the Triangle to ogle. We'll also have some other prizes and goodies to give away to our contestants.
We're looking for creativity over all. But, as your creativity runs rampant, remember that your birdhouse must be functional. In other words, a bird must actually be able to—or better yet, want to—;build a nest in it.
Entries should be brought to the JC Raulston Arboretum, on 4301 Beryl Road in Raleigh, on May 12 between 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM. Judging will begin at 11:00 AM. Birdhouses are to be collected at 6:00 PM on Sunday. If you want to enter, you must reserve a spot by e-mailing the Home section editor, Bill DuPre, at email@example.com, or by calling (919) 829-4758. Deadline for reserving a spot is May 7, 2001.
- To enter, send an e-mail to the Home section editor, Bill DuPre, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (919) 829-4758. Then, get your birdhouse to the Arboretum by 9:30 AM on May 11, 2002.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4301 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Call the JCRA at (919) 515-3132 or Bill DuPre at the N&O for details.