Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
The Piedmont Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society
"Cape Bulbs—South African Gems"
- Thursday, June 15, 2000 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
Rod was born in England and moved to South Africa, with his family, at the age of four. Being "mad" for plants and collecting them from a very early age, he trained with the Johannesburg Parks Department in Amenity Horticulture and worked for the Municipality for several years. He then spent a year traveling and climbing in South America, followed by a year in Papua, New Guinea, running a tropical crop nursery. Back in Johannesburg, he was in charge of a large wildflower garden for the Parks Department (once again) and then became the Nursery Manager at Kirstenbosch Botanic Garden for the next ten years. At present, he is living and working in Cape Town and, together with his wife, Rachel, runs Silverhill Seeds, the well-known and highly regarded mail order seed company.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Room 159, Kilgore Hall, NC State University.
- Kilgore Hall is located on the southeast corner of Brooks Avenue and Hillsborough Street in Raleigh.
- Free parking is available in the Brooks Avenue lot located on the northeast corner of Brooks Avenue and Hillsborough Street.
- Please call (919) 515-3132 for more information about this lecture.