"Gardens, Museums, and American Castles of Southern California"
March 10, 2002 (Sunday)—March 15, 2002 (Friday)
Gardens, Museums, and American Castles of Southern California
Join JCRA Director Bob Lyons, Ph.D. on an excursion to and tour of some extraordinary garden sites in the Los Angeles region of Southern California on March 10-15, 2002. Situated in a climate better known for its two seasons of "wet and dry," these gardens are quintessential examples of unique plant collections and grand opulence of days gone by. Our visit will be near the end of the rainy season which has brought on spring color in true west coast fashion ... beautiful.
Major sites planned for this trip include:
Descanso Gardens in La Canada, Flintridge – www.descanso.com
Hearst Castle, San Simeon - www.hearstcastle.org
The Huntington Library, Collections, and Botanical Gardens, San Marino - www.huntington.org
The Arboretum of Los Angeles County, Arcadia - www.arboretum.org
The Getty Center & Gardens, Los Angeles County - www.getty.edu
The hotels are as follows:
Palm Springs - March 10 - Hilton Inn Palm Springs Resort
Los Angeles (Monrovia area) - March 11 & 12 - Four Points Sheraton
San Luis Obispo - March 13 - Embassy Suites
Los Angeles (Westwood area) - March 15 - Doubletree Westwood
March 10 - Depart from RDU at 7:55 AM, via Chicago, arrive Los Angeles at 12:41 PM
March 15 - Depart Los Angeles at 11:22 AM, via Dallas, arrive RDU at 9:19 PM
Proposed Itinerary, may be subject to minor changes:
Stop for lunch enroute to Palm Springs
Palm Springs to Joshua Tree National Park, early departure (1 hour from Palm Springs)
Morning tour of Joshua Tree
Depart for Los Angeles around noon, stop for lunch enroute to LA
Afternoon tour of Descanso Gardens
The Arboretum of Los Angeles County and Huntington Botanical Gardens
Los Angeles to San Simeon
Overnight in San Luis Obispo (Great small college town - picturesque!)
San Luis Obispo to Los Angeles
Afternoon tour of Getty Museum followed by tour group dinner finale.
Morning departure LAX/RDU
- The cost will be $1,099.00 per person, double occupancy and $1,399.00 per person, single occupancy. This includes roundtrip airfare from Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU), five nights hotel accommodations, motorcoach throughout, garden and museum entrance fees, baggage handling, one dinner, and all taxes and gratuities. $200.00 deposit per person due at time of booking, $100.00 nonrefundable once deposit is received.
- To register, please call Judi Grainger at (919) 872-4420. Deposit due on January 23, 2002 (45 days prior to trip).
- Trip departs from the Raleigh-Durham International Airport.
- To get to the airport from one of the major area highways, take the following exits: from I-40, Exits 284B or 285, from I-540, Exit 2A Aviation Parkway/RDU Airport and follow signs to the airport, or from US 70, Exit 293 Aviation Parkway/Westgate Road and follow signs to the airport.
- Parking is available at RDU.
- For more information or to place your reservation, please call Judi Grainger of Custom Travel at (919) 872-4420.