The Great News and Observer Birdhouse Contest
Cosponsored by the News & Observer and the JC Raulston Arboretum
- Saturday, May 10, 2003 – 11:00 am–5:00 pm
- Sunday, May 11, 2003 – 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
Are you serious about building a better birdhouse, or do you think a birdhouse is a frivolity, just an excuse to let your creativity take wing?
Either way, you should enter the Great News and Observer Birdhouse Contest at the JC Raulston Arboretum.
For grown-ups we have two categories: Serious Bird Housing, in which the judging points will be practicality and craftsmanship, and Flights of Fancy, in which creativity will be rewarded, and the possibility that a bird could or would actually build a nest in your creation is secondary.
We also have a children's category, for ages 12 and younger.
First-prize winners in each category will get $50.00 from the News & Observer and a year's membership in the JC Raulston Arboretum. First, second, and third-place winners in each category will also get a T-shirt from the Arboretum. Each entrant in the children's category will get a bag of goodies from the N&O. And, of course, the winners' creations will be featured in the Home section for all the Triangle to see.
- Registration available on May 10 from 7:30 AM through 9:00 AM.
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-3826 for more information about this competition.