"Long Summer Weekend in the Commonwealth"
July 22, 2004 (Thursday)–July 25, 2004 (Sunday)
July 22 (Thursday)
7:30 AM – Leave Raleigh for Southwest Virginia.
11:00 AM-2:00 PM – Riverbend Nursery
3:00-6:00 PM – Visit Virginia Tech Horticulture Garden, the Virginia Tech campus, and the local private gardens of Elissa Steeves and Kim Knight; check-in.
Walk to dinner in Blacksburg on own, walk to Alex Niemiera's garden and stay overnight at the VT hotel (Donaldson Brown Center).
HOTEL: The Donaldson Brown Hotel and Conference Center
201 Otey Street (on the campus of Virginia Tech) – (540) 231-8000
July 23 (Friday)
7:45 AM – Travel to the private garden of Paul James in Boones Mill (just south of Roanoke).
11:00 AM – Travel to Monticello in Charlottesville
HOTEL: Best Western Cavalier Inn at the University
105 N. Emmet Street – (434) 296-8111
July 24 (Saturday)
8:00 AM – Leave C'ville for Lewis Ginter Botanic Garden in Richmond, arrive 9:30 AM and take guided tour and spend free time there, eat lunch at LGBG on own.
2:00 PM – Depart for Colonial Williamsburg and adjoining College of William and Mary, arrive 2 PM and do tours of CW sites and gardens. Stay overnight near Williamsburg, dinner on own. (Check their Web site or call (800) HISTORY for dinner reservations at a Colonial Tavern.)
HOTEL: The Williamsburg Hospitality House
415 Richmond Road – (757) 229-4020
July 25 (Sunday)
Morning activities in Colonial Williamsburg TBD, plus free time
Head back to Raleigh around 2:00 PM.
Lots of walking, bring comfortable shoes and be comfortable walking.
It will be mid-summer and HOT, particularly in the Richmond and Williamsburg areas!
- Cost per person, double occupancy: $489.00 ($649.00 single occupancy). Cost includes all hotels, transportation via motor coach (from Raleigh), baggage handling, entrance fees, and lunches at Riverbend nursery and boxed lunch at Monticello.
- To register for this Garden Journey, please call Judi Granger at (919) 872-4420.
- Departs from the JC Raulston Arboretum.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 515-3132 for more information about this event.