Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
Part of the News & Observer Birdhouse Competition
Cosponsored with the Carolinas' Nature Photographers Association
Gary Carter, Carolinas' Nature Photographers Association and Robert Smith, Certified Wildlife Biologist and Outdoor Photographer
- Thursday, March 31, 2011 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
Gary and Robert will discuss the three essentials needed for birds and other wildlife. We will look at both natural and man made nesting cavities and boxes for birds; types of materials used, both natural and man made; predators and parasites that effect nesting areas; and some cleaning tips. Photographs of subjects that may use artificial nest will also be shown.
Gary Carter has been taking photographs of our natural world for 30+ years. He regularly sells images throughout stock agencies such as Corbis and has been published in numerous books and magazines, such as National Geographic, Birder's World, Field and Stream, Nature Photographer, Stackpole bird books, and more. Cornell University uses many of his bird photographs in their literature. His property is listed on the National Registry of the National Wildlife Federation as a backyard habitat. Gary is also a member of the Carolinas' Nature Photographers Association and the North American Nature Photography Association. He, his wife Janice and Robert Smith conduct photography workshops at his home in McLeansville, North Carolina.
Robert Smith is a certified wildlife biologist and outdoor photographer who primarily works with properties in the southeastern United States. He's worked to provide bird houses and nesting platforms on several of the properties that he has worked on that have resulted in over 20 different bird species, including owls, osprey, phoebes and bluebirds, roosting or nesting in those artificial structures.
Photograph courtesy of Robert Smith, photobiologist.com.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum and Carolinas' Nature Photographers Association members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.