"Wide Angle Close-up Garden Photography"
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
- Wednesday, September 27, 2023 – 10:00 am–12:00 pm
The wide-angle lens is one of the most misused lenses for novice photographers. There is more to using a wide-angle lens than just being able to include a lot in the frame. Wide angle lenses exaggerate curves at the edges, they make close objects look big, and far objects look small. Using this knowledge, we can use a wide-angle lens to make a dominant foreground subject and use the background for environmental context. The resulting image has more impact and gives a more immersive feeling to the photo.
What to Bring
Suitable for DSLR and mirror-less cameras that supports aperture priority shooting mode. Bring a wide-angle prime lens or zoom lens (focal lengths in the 10 – 45 mm range). As a prerequisite, participants should have some basic understanding of aperture, shutter speed, ISO and how to set them on their camera.
Also appropriate for phone cameras that have multiple lenses. Ideal choices are iPhone 13 Pro and later iPhone Pro models since they also include macro photography capabilities.
Tripods are optional.
A kneeling cushion, knee pads or portable stool is recommended as some shots may be lower to the ground.
Participants can consult the instructor if they have equipment suitability questions.
About Mary Louise Ravese
Mary Louise Ravese specializes in fine art nature and travel photography from locations across the world. Her photographs are in private, university, and corporate collections in over 40 states and are exhibited nationally. She is the owner and principle photographer for Bella Vista Photography, and has a resident artist studio at 311 Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina. Mary Louise is a regular speaker and competition judge for photography clubs in multiple states. She is an experienced photography instructor who has trained hundreds of amateur photographers. She enjoys teaching on a wide range of topics related to nature, travel, and creative photography, and can help with both the technical and aesthetic aspects of picture making. Mary Louise leads classes and workshops at a variety of locations across the United States and abroad. For more information visit her Web site at http://www.bellavistaphotography.com.
- $30 for members, $40 for nonmembers. Become a member today!
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 12 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write email@example.com for more information about this class.