North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) Lecture
"Discovering Ecuador’s Highland Alpines and Orchids"
Cohosted by the Piedmont Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society and the JC Raulston Arboretum
- Saturday, September 16, 2023 – 10:00 am–11:30 am
Jerry Yu, a student at NCSU majoring in Horticultural Science, is from Cary, N.C. He spent part of his 2023 summer vacation in Ecuador, which straddles the equator, where its days and nights, year round, are about 12 hours long. The special areas he visited were the high mountain regions known in Spanish as "páramo," which consists of tropical, montane vegetation, much of it above the permanent treeline, but below the permanent snowline.
Jerry spent time in two national parks, where the temperature varies widely from day and night. Among the many plants he saw and photographed were the Andean fly orchid, gentians, bomarea, calceolaria, bromeliads, and aroids. He saw many plants in the cloud forests at various elevations that are grown as house plants in more temperate regions. These include anthuriums, philodendrons, and monsteras. Come hear Jerry tell us about how he spent his summer vacation in a plant lover 's paradise in Ecuador, an area with great biodiversity, hospitable people, and perfect vacation weather.
This NARGS meeting will include a bonus short-talk by Amelia Lane on "The International Czech Rock Garden Conference, May 2023".
Joining the Online Presentation
This program is being offered in person as well as online. If you want to join us online, visit the URL below to register:
In case there are any last-minute changes, please check your e-mail for any updates. Last-minute changes will be sent to JCRA Cuttings subscribers and to NARGS members directly.
NARGS meeting presentations are recorded and typically posted to the JC Raulston Arboretum's YouTube Channel the following Monday. Be sure to subscribe to our channel for updates!
- Free for North American Rock Garden Society (Piedmont Chapter) members and Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, otherwise $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available for in-person participants. Check-in available at the door. Registration for online participants available at https://jcra.ncsu.edu/nargs-lecture/.
- Online and in person at the JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this lecture.