Lunch and Lit in the Garden
Mondays, September 11 through November 6, 2023 – 12:00 pm–2:00 pm
Who doesn't love a great story? Bring your lunch and listen to a classic read-aloud while you enjoy all the plants in the Arboretum this fall!
Each week, we'll explore a different area of the garden and complete a nature activity inspired by the day's reading. Includes a little literary analysis, a bit of nature study, some artistic endeavors, science, and more!
Fall Book Selection
The Year Money Grew on Trees by Aaron Hawkins
Jackson Jones is surrounded by 300 wild apple trees and he needs to make them grow apples–thousands and thousands of apples! But what do he and his sisters and cousins know about pruning, irrigating, and fertilizing? And even assuming they can make the apples grow, how can they pick and sell enough of them in time? With frostbitten fingers, stinking shoes, and sore muscles, Jackson and his crew unexpectedly discover the lost art of winging it–and have the time of their lives.
- Suggested for students in 5th through 8th grades.
- $200.00 per student for the 9 week series.
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please contact Joy Burns, school program coordinator, at email@example.com for more information about this program.