Friends of the Arboretum HortiCULTURE Lecture Series
- Thursday, February 9, 2023 – 6:30 pm–8:00 pm
It's back, and reimagined! FOA lectures have been a staple of programming since the early days of the Arboretum. Often featuring professors, industry professionals, graduate students and gardeners from around the world, lectures connected members to new ideas, new places or new plants.
This year, we reintroduce our members to FOA lectures with a new twist — our "HortiCULTURE" lecture series. In 2023, we have three lectures planned to explore the diversity of cultures the Arboretum is connected to through our history and plant collections.
These in-person only events will begin with time to connect with Arboretum members and the JCRA staff followed by the evening's lecture. Come enjoy this garden community and learn alongside fellow members!
February FOA Lecture — "Before the JC Raulston Arboretum: A Look into the Arboretum's Land History"
Dennis Carey, JC Raulston Arboretum Curator
With land changing rapidly around the Triangle, history can easily be paved over and forgotten or spark curiosity in uncovering your history before it's gone. Luckily for us, our curator, Dennis Carey's unofficial Arboretum historian role has led him on a quest to find out our history before the Arboretum was the Arboretum.
Before the Arboretum was filled with plants and bed numbers, the land was part of a historically important community called the Method Community. From its roots as a freedman's village, the Method Community has a rich history of what it means to be a community. Come explore its history with Dennis as a way to celebrate African American History Month.
- Free for members and their guests, NC State University faculty, staff and students.
- Advance registration is required since space is limited. Register online using our registration e-store.
- If your plans change and you're not able to attend, please email email@example.com as soon as you know so that we can make your spot available for another member to attend.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this lecture.