"Beginner Hardwood Cuttings"
Sophia McCusker, Nursery Technician
- Saturday, January 28, 2023 – 1:30 pm–5:00 pm
How many times have you been in a friend's garden and wanted to take home one of their favorite plants? Has a neighbor shared a cutting with you and you put it in a vase on the windowsill not knowing what to do with it? Are you a new gardener fascinated by the idea of being able to grow your plant collection inexpensively at home? If this sounds like you, you should join the JC Raulston Arboretum staff for this hands-on workshop and learn the basics about propagating woody ornamental plants by stem cuttings!
In this beginner workshop, participants learn how to take stem cuttings, what rooting hormones are, and how to care for cuttings as they root. Participants start by learning about propagation in a classroom setting and then go out into the gardens for a brief demonstration on how to take cuttings. Back inside, participants will try their hand at propagating using a selection of cuttings chosen by staff for optimal success. Then, everyone leaves with a full tray of cuttings from the JC Raulston Arboretum's collection!
This workshop is for beginner gardeners looking to learn about propagation. For more experienced gardeners or past propagation workshop participants, please sign up for the Advanced Propagation Workshop (Saturday, January 28, 2023 9:00 am).
Note: All of the newly propagated plants will go home with our participants along with care instructions to help you have the most success!
- $150.00 for members, $200.00 for nonmembers. The cost includes all materials needed.
- Advance registration is required. Register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 15 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this program.