Digital Photography Essentials Workshop (for DSLR and Mirrorless Camera Users)
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
Saturdays, August 6 and 13, 2022 – 9:00 am–1:00 pmThis beginner class is for people with a digital SLR (DSLR) or mirrorless camera who are interested in learning how to successfully use their camera beyond automatic/program modes. The class concentrates on the five essential camera settings that have the most impact on the look of a photograph: focal length, aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance. We also discuss how to interpret the image histogram, a camera feedback mechanism, and use that information to adjust and optimize image exposure for the next shot. Students learn how to adjust these settings using their own camera. The sessions will include indoor classroom learning combined with some hands-on practice photographing in the arboretum's gardens. Participants will receive presentation handouts, home practice exercises, and a quick reference sheet.
Suitable for ages 15+. No previous experience with the camera is needed.
Items to Bring
Please bring the following items:
- DSLR camera or mirrorless camera. Ideally suited for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji and Olympus camera users Note, cameras without removable lenses may not be well suited for this session. Consult instructor for guidance.
- At least one lens
- Memory card
- Charged camera battery
- Notepaper and pencil/pen
- Bring a bagged lunch or snack
About Mary Louise RaveseMary Louise Ravese specializes in fine art nature and travel photography from locations across the world. Her photographs are in private, university, and corporate collections in over 40 states and are exhibited nationally. She has published images in calendars, magazines, books and Web sites. Mary Louise is a regular speaker and competition judge for photography clubs. She also enjoys teaching on a wide range of topics related to nature, travel and creative photography. Based in North Carolina, Mary Louise leads classes and workshops at a variety of locations across the United States and abroad.
- Suitable for ages 15+.
- $130.00 for members, $140.00 for nonmembers (includes $25.00 materials fee).
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 10 people and is considered complete when payment is received. Registration will close at the end of day on Thursday, August 4, 2022.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write email@example.com for more information about this course.