"Get Your Glow on—Garden Photography with a Romantic Glowing Style"
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
- Tuesday, May 24, 2022 – 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
– Meets Online
- Thursday, May 26, 2022 – 9:30 am–12:30 pm
Gardens provide great subjects for those who like a romantic, painterly, soft-glow look to their photographs. In this two-session photo walk, Mary Louise will discuss two approaches to achieving this look: 1) using a specialty Lenbaby Velvet lens 2) using a regular lens together with a multiple exposure soft glow shooting technique.
In the first session on Tuesday, May 24, which will be held online, Mary Louise will explain the key principles behind the two approaches and her step-by-step approach to each. In the second in-person session on Thursday, May 26, participants will join Mary Louise at Duke University's Sarah P. Duke Gardens where she'll guide them in hands-on photography in the garden using the two approaches.
Note: This program meets online on Tuesday, May 24 and in person at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens on Thursday, May 26.
What to Bring
This program is suitable for photographers that use traditional cameras (DSLR and mirrorless). The program is suitable for intermediate to advanced photographers familiar with shooting in aperture priority or manual mode.Please bring the following:
- Suitable for traditional cameras (DSLR and mirrorless)
- A tripod, preferably one with independent leg movement and ball head
- Extra camera battery (recommended)
- Extra memory card (optional)
- For the Lensbaby Velvet approach:
- Lensbaby Velvet 56mm or 85mm https://lensbaby.com/pages/velvet
The Velvet 56 would be the best choice for APS-C sensor cameras.
(other Lensbaby lenses will not be covered in this class)
- These lenses can be rented for Canon, Nikon or Sony cameras from Lens Rentals. Based in Tennessee, they can ship to your home. Mirrorless users may have to get the DSLR version and pair with an adapter, if a mirrorless version is not available for rent. Use this referral link for $25 off your first rental https://share.lensrentals.com/x/bmUgJZ. If you decide you like the lens, they offer the option for you to buy the lens at the end of your rental.
- Note: using this lens is greatly simplified if you are using a camera with the manual focus—focus peaking feature
- For the multiple exposure soft glow technique:
- Camera with multiple exposures in camera feature (need to combine 2 exposures for this technique)
- Zoom or prime lens in the 18–85 mm range (zoom is preferable since where you can stand is limited)
- Camera remote control (optional)
- Circular polarizer filter (optional)
- Foam knee pad or stadium seat cushion to kneel on (optional)
- Notepaper and pencil/pen
- Bring a snack, bottled water
- Bagged lunch for a picnic in the garden after the shoot (optional)