Front-yard Foraging: Edible Ornamental Plants and Delicious Weeds, Too
Frank Hyman, Cottage Garden Landscaping
- Saturday, March 26, 2022 – 9:00 am–11:00 am
You can forage for delicious edibles right outside your front door. Turn your weeding chore into a feeding frenzy by harvesting edible weeds like purslane, chickweed, sorrel, dayflower, bedstraw, and many others. There are also ornamental plants in the average garden that are edible and delicious too: beautyberry, hibiscus, Solomon seal, daylily, and lots more. Horticulturist and forager Frank Hyman will share a slideshow featuring a year's worth of delicious and nutritious edibles that thrive in the garden whether you plant them or not. Class includes a one-page handout, plenty of time for Q&A, sample plants to pass around, and a chance to buy signed copies of Frank's book How to Forage for Mushrooms Without Dying as well as a colleague's pocket sized book on foraging wild, edible plants.
About Frank Hyman
Horticulturist and professional forager Frank Hyman has nibbled on wild edibles with plant gatherers in six countries and eight states. He's written foraging columns for two magazines; cultivates a dozen wild, edible plants in his Durham garden; and is the author of How to Forage for Mushrooms Without Dying. He has a B.S. in horticulture and design (he studied under J. C. Raulston, Ph.D., and Will Hooker, M.L.A., from NC State University).
- $25.00 for members, $30.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina, and online.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write email@example.com for more information about this program.