Outstanding Plants for the Home Landscape
Bryce Lane, Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Emeritus and Lecturer Emeritus, Department of Horticultural Science, NC State University
Mondays, February 7 through March 28, 2022 – 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
This is an eight-week course for the home gardener who wishes to improve their plant selection skills and increase their knowledge base about the many different plants they can choose for the landscape.
Each week we will focus different groups of plants that enhance the home landscape. Discussion will begin with general information about each group of plants, ranging from selection criteria to soil preference, to exposure requirements. Then we will look at a number of the most desirable, interesting, and high performing plants in each group. From small flowering trees to shade tolerant perennials, come expand your plant knowledge and gardening skills.
Annual Bedding Plants
Shade Tolerant Perennials
Colorful Sun Perennials
Bulbs, Corms, and Tubers (Geophytes)
Flowering Shrubs and Small and Medium Shrubs
Small and Medium Ornamental Trees
We will be meeting online only on Monday, March 14.
About Bryce Lane
Bryce grew up in Western Massachusetts, where he discovered his passion for plants and telling others about them, working at a local garden center through high school and college. After earning his B.S. in plant science from the University of Massachusetts in 1979 and an M.S. in horticulture from The Ohio State University in 1981, he came to the Department of Horticultural Science at NC State University as a lecturer, teaching in both the two-year and four-year programs. He taught plant identification at NC State for 18 years. In 1987, he became the undergraduate coordinator, serving the department in that capacity for 26 years. Bryce taught both large and small courses, for majors and non-majors. In the past 30+ years, he has taught more than 20,000 students. He has received numerous local, regional, and national teaching awards and is frequently invited to speak at many workshops and symposia, about teaching as well as horticulture and gardening. He hosted and produced a three-time, Emmy winning UNC TV public television show called "In the Garden With Bryce Lane" which was on the air for 11 seasons. Most importantly, he has been married for 37 years to his high school sweetheart, has two happily married daughters, and six incredible grandchildren.
Bryce retired from NC State in January 2014, and is now spending more time with his family, pursuing the next chapter in his public speaking career, and teaching part time at NC State and the JC Raulston Arboretum. He served as interim director of the JC Raulston Arboretum from July through November 2014. He is an avid gardener who has gardened in the same spot for more than 30 years!
This program is scheduled as an in-person and online program under the assumption we can meet together in groups at this time. If NC State or the state have any COVID-19 safety guidelines in place at this time, everyone in attendance in person will be required to follow them. If meeting in person in large numbers indoors isn't permitted at the time of the program, we will have to offer this program online only.
- $200.00 for members, $250.00 for nonmembers. Online registration opens soon. Until then, please contact Chris Glenn at firstname.lastname@example.org to register by phone. Note to nonmembers: instead of paying $50.00 more for the program, become a member for $50.00 instead.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store (in-person program and online program). Registration is limited and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write email@example.com for more information about this program.