"Magical Macro—Photographing Water Droplets Refractions"
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
Join the Waitlist
Join the Waitlist
- Wednesday, March 16, 2022 – 10:00 am–1:00 pm
Water droplets act like a lens refracting light from whatever is behind them. In this hands-on photography session, we'll explore the fun and creative photography technique of photographing water droplet refractions. We'll start with an easy setup using flowers and a sheet of glass with water beading up on it and then discuss and experiment with more challenging setups.
What to Bring
Suitable for all types of cameras from DSLR and mirrorless, to point-n-shoot and smartphone cameras. However, for best results, a DSLR or mirrorless camera is recommended. For DSLR and mirrorless cameras, a macro lens (90mm or longer focal length) and/or a zoom or prime lens in the 70mm–100mm range is recommended. If your lens has a minimum focusing distance over 12", you may want to bring extension tubes (like a set from Kenko) or a close-up diopter/filter so you can focus closer to your subject. For best results, a tripod is recommended. The ripod should have legs that move independently and allow the camera to point straight down. Please also bring a LED flashlight and your photography journal and a pencil or pen.
About Mary Louise Ravese
Mary Louise Ravese specializes in fine art nature and travel photography from locations across the world. Her photographs are in private, university, and corporate collections in over 40 states and are exhibited nationally. She is the owner and principle photographer for Bella Vista Photography, and has a resident artist studio at 311 Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina. Mary Louise is a regular speaker and competition judge for photography clubs in multiple states. She is an experienced photography instructor who has trained hundreds of amateur photographers. She enjoys teaching on a wide range of topics related to nature, travel, and creative photography, and can help with both the technical and aesthetic aspects of picture making. Mary Louise leads classes and workshops at a variety of locations across the United States and abroad. For more information visit her Web site at http://www.bellavistaphotography.com.
- $50.00 for members, $60.00 for nonmembers. The registration fee includes a $20.00 material fee. Participants will take home these materials.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to eight people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- JC Raulston Arboretum, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please write email@example.com for more information about this program.