"Photographing Nature's Design Close-up in the Greenhouse"
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
- Thursday, February 24, 2022 – 1:00 pm–3:30 pm
When it's chilly outdoors, it's a great opportunity to turn to the greenhouse for photo opportunities. Join instructor Mary Louise Ravese at NC State University's greenhouse conservatory where you'll be able to photograph a variety of plants including orchids, tropicals, succulents, cactus, and more. Mary Louise will discuss how to showcase the shapes, colors, and textures of the conservatory plants' foliage and flowers with your compositional design.In this month 's session she will also explain the settings and techniques she uses to get close-up shots using a DSLR or mirrorless camera.
What to Bring
Bring your DSLR or mirrorless camera and a macro lens (90mm or longer focal length) and/or a zoom or prime lens in the 70mm–100mm range. If your lens has a minimum focusing distance over 12", you may want to bring extension tubes (like a set from Kenko) or a close-up diopter/filter so you can focus closer to your subject. There should be enough filtered light in the greenhouse to enable handholding, but a tripod with ball head is always encouraged for the sharpest shots. Please also bring your photography journal and a pencil or pen. Dress in layers as the greenhouses may be around 70°F, coats and other gear can be left in a secured classroom while photographing.
About Mary Louise Ravese
Mary Louise Ravese specializes in fine art nature and travel photography from locations across the world. Her photographs are in private, university, and corporate collections in over 40 states and are exhibited nationally. She is the owner and principle photographer for Bella Vista Photography, and has a resident artist studio at 311 Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina. Mary Louise is a regular speaker and competition judge for photography clubs in multiple states. She is an experienced photography instructor who has trained hundreds of amateur photographers. She enjoys teaching on a wide range of topics related to nature, travel, and creative photography, and can help with both the technical and aesthetic aspects of picture making. Mary Louise leads classes and workshops at a variety of locations across the United States and abroad. For more information visit her Web site at http://www.bellavistaphotography.com.
- $25.00 for members, $35.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to eight people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Conservatory, NC State University, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Driving directions will be provided to participants.
- Parking is available in the Dan Allen Deck Pay Lot. Information about visitor parking at NC State is available at https://transportation.ncsu.edu/visitor-parking/.
- Please write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this course.