Gardening Adventures with Extension Master Gardener Volunteers
"Herba Inutillis, the Evolution of Weed Control Through History"
Thomas Packer, Extension Master Gardener Volunteer of Wake County
- Monday, November 29, 2021 – 10:00 am–11:30 am
Have you ever wondered how gardeners controlled weeds before the modern science and techniques of the past century? This talk will explore the fascinating development of gardeners' attempts to deal with unwanted plants, including ingenious mechanical and cultural approaches as well as development of primitive herbicides, from the time of antiquity, through the Roman empire to the early 1900s. The presentation will conclude with a review of current approaches to weed control.
About Tom Packer
Tom Packer is a longtime backyard farmer, citizen scientist, certified Master Gardener volunteer from Wake County, and a winner of the program's Diamond in the Rough award as outstanding member of the program's most recent class. Tom has helped anchor the program's gardening helpline, fielding calls and e-mails from gardeners on a variety of horticultural issues. He also is a moderator of the Facebook group Gardening Carolina for North and South Carolina, a volunteer at the JC Raulston Arboretum, a member of the Gardeners of Wake County club, president-elect of the Rotary Club of Raleigh, and obtained his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of California.
Joining the Online Presentation
Visit the URL below to join the program:
In case there are any last-minute changes, please check your e-mail for any updates. Last-minute changes will be sent to Cuttings from the JCRA subscribers and to NARGS members directly.
This program is scheduled as an in-person and online program under the assumption we can meet together in groups at this time. If NC State or the state have any COVID-19 safety guidelines in place at this time, everyone in attendance in person will be required to follow them. If meeting in person in large numbers indoors isn't permitted at the time of the program, we will have to offer this program online only.
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, Extension Master Gardeners, Department of Horticultural Science staff and faculty, NC State University students, and online participants; otherwise $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available for in-person attendees. Check-in available at the door. Registration for online attendees available at https://jcra.ncsu.edu/emgv-lecture/.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.