The Nature of Drawing: Fall Studio
Preston Montague, Landscape Designer and Botanical Illustrator
- Saturday, October 30, 2021 – 9:00 am–12:00 pm
Botanical illustration is a powerful tool for understanding and communicating nature's design. Whether for scientific exploration, self-expression, or both, botanical illustration gives us an opportunity to document those moments in nature that inspire us. Join artist and landscape architect, Preston Montague, for a drawing course exploring fundamentals of drawing, as well as skill development for more experienced artists in a fun and encouraging atmosphere.
Class may be held both indoors and outdoors to accommodate weather conditions; participants are encouraged to bring hats, comfy cushions, water bottles, and a snack just in case. Students are encouraged to bring their own #2 pencil, sharpener, sketch book, and colored pencils, but these supplies will also be made available by Preston.
About Preston Montague
Preston Montague is an artist, educator, and landscape designer who developed a passion for the natural world while growing up in the rural foothills of Virginia. Currently, he lives in Durham, North Carolina, working on projects that encourage stronger relationships between people and their environment. His latest body of work, Codex Carolinum, is a series of didactic botanical illustrations using art and storytelling to foster natural science literacy.
This program is scheduled as an in-person program under the assumption we can meet together in groups at this time. If NC State or the state have any COVID-19 safety guidelines in place at this time, everyone in attendance will be required to follow them. If meeting in person in large numbers indoors isn't permitted at the time of the program, we will conduct this program entirely outdoors weather permitting.
- $50.00 for members, $60.00 for nonmembers
- Advance registration is required. Online registration opens soon. Until then, please contact Chris Glenn at email@example.com. Registration is limited to 12 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this program.