Friends of the Arboretum Lecture
"Rhapsody in Green: The Garden Wit and Wisdom of Beverley Nichols"
Roy Dicks, Writer
- Thursday, March 5, 2009 – 7:30 pm–9:00 pm
The garden writing of Beverley Nichols (1898–1983) has stood the test of time. His amusing anecdotes, poetic contemplations and penetrating observations capture the joy, heartache, and hilarity of gardening.
Roy C. Dicks caps a decade of work on reprints of Nichols' gardening books with his new Timber Press publication, Rhapsody in Green, a compilation of short passages drawn from all fifteen Nichols' gardening volumes. Join Roy for a presentation about Beverley Nichols, with readings from the new book, capturing the joy, heartache, and hilarity of gardening.
Roy was a professional reference librarian for 27 years with the Wake County Library, an actor and director in area theater for 20 years, and has been a performing arts writer and reviewer for the Raleigh News & Observer since 1997.
Copies of Rhapsody in Green will be available for purchase at the talk for $18.00 (20% of each sale will be donated to the JC Raulston Arboretum).
- Free for Friends of the JC Raulston Arboretum members, NC State University students (with ID), and Department of Horticultural Science faculty and staff, all others $5.00.
- Advance registration is not available.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this lecture.