Contain Your Enthusiasm
Frank Hyman, Cottage Garden Landscaping
- Saturday, February 22, 2020 – 9:30 am–11:00 am
Whether indoors or out, gardening in containers opens up a lot of possibilities: edible leaves, fragrant flowers, carnivorous plants, dwarf citrus trees, and more.Learn about growing herbs and perennial vegetables in pots, finding free fertilizers, up cycling containers, making homemade potting media, using castoff materials like coffee chaff as timesaving mulches, and more. Class offers a slide show, one-page handout, plenty of Q&A time. Frank will share container tricks and houseplant hacks—like wine cork mulches, burlap basket liners and flying air plant mobiles just to name a few—that cut his watering time by more than half and cut his costs to the bone while making the garden beautiful.
About Frank Hyman
Frank Hyman is the Cutting Edge Crops columnist for Hobby Farms magazine and the container columnist for Horticulture magazine. He designs award-winning gardens in Durham and has owned Cottage Garden Landscaping for 25 years. He earned his B.S. in horticulture and design from NC State University and studied under J. C. Raulston, Ph.D., and Will Hooker, M.L.A. His garden writing has also appeared in Organic Gardening, Modern Farmer, American Gardener, Carolina Gardener, and Fine Gardening. He's also a carpenter and has built deer-proof fences.
- $25.00 for members, $30.00 for nonmembers.
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 24 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks before the program's start date. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this class.