"Moonlight in the Garden—Twilight and Night Photography Techniques"
Mary Louise Ravese, Bella Vista Photography
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019 – 4:00 pm–7:00 pm
In the annual event "Moonlight in the Garden," the Arboretum is decorated with an elaborate design of garden lighting that beautifully highlights the garden's key botanical features. It is a magical time to visit the Arboretum, but it can be challenging to capture in a photograph if you are not used to nighttime photography. In this special session, Mary Louise will start in the classroom, explaining the key equipment and techniques she uses to successfully capture the illuminated garden. Then the class will transition to the gardens to practice these techniques with Mary Louise's guidance. Participants are welcome to continue to photograph and enjoy the gardens after the session, until closing at approximately 9:00 pm.
Photography Walk fees include entrance fee to Moonlight in the Gardens event. The Photography Walk is a special preview event and takes place on an evening before the event is open to the general public. This is an exclusive opportunity to be able to photograph the nighttime event using a tripod, an essential tool for sharp night images. It is the first time such an opportunity has been offered, and it is likely to sell out, so register early.
What to bring: Suitable for all types of cameras from DSLR and mirrorless to point-and-shoot and smartphones or tablets. A tripod is required. Smartphone and tablet users should consider purchasing a low light and/or HDR (High Dynamic Range) app. For example iPhone users can use the app ProCamera (~$7.99) and the in app purchases of Low Light Plus (~$3.99) and/or vividHDR ($3.99).
About Mary Louise Ravese
Mary Louise Ravese specializes in fine art nature and travel photography from locations across the world. Her photographs are in private, university, and corporate collections in over 40 states and are exhibited nationally. She is the owner and principle photographer for Bella Vista Photography, and has a resident artist studio at 311 Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina. Mary Louise is a regular speaker and competition judge for photography clubs in multiple states. She is an experienced photography instructor who has trained hundreds of amateur photographers. She enjoys teaching on a wide range of topics related to nature, travel, and creative photography, and can help with both the technical and aesthetic aspects of picture making. Mary Louise leads classes and workshops at a variety of locations across the United States and abroad. For more information visit her Web site at http://www.bellavistaphotography.com.
- $50.00 for members (includes $10.00 Moonlight in the Garden admission for members), $70.00 for nonmembers (includes $20.00 Moonlight in the Garden admission for nonmembers).
- Advance registration is required. Please register online using our registration e-store. Registration is limited to 14 people and is considered complete when payment is received.
- Program cancellations can be made up to two weeks prior to the program's start date. No refunds will be made after this time. A 15% cancellation fee applies.
- Ruby C. McSwain Education Center, JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University, 4415 Beryl Road, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Need directions? Click here.
- Free parking is available at the JC Raulston Arboretum and along Beryl Road.
- Please call (919) 513-7005 for more information about this program.